Chinese Embassy Legalisation / Authentication

You can get certain official UK documents legalised by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official, and you will need to do this if you need to provide a UK document and they’ve said it must be legalised. To work/ Study/ Visit your family in China, the Chinese authority may require the following documents legalised by the Chinese Embassy in the UK:

  • University Degree certificate
  • Proof of Criminal convictions (usually a DBS or ACRO certificate)
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Corporate Documents (e.g. Certificate of Incorporation)



The legalisation process involves two steps:

1. The FCO does the legalization of the notarial documents

2. The Chinese Embassy does the authentication of the documents legalized by FCO

For all personal documents, you will need to provide:

  1. The original document
  2. A decent photocopy of the applicant’s passport information page

Once we have received your document(s), we will submit your documents to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and forward them to the Chinese Embassy. The whole process will take 10-15 working days (with regular service) and the price will be £210 per document, or with express service (6-7 working days) the price will be £330 per document.